Most notable is the Grubb Shaft Museum complex. Open 10-4 daily, this has the mine ruins, rebuilt/restored buildings including a miner's cottage, and the Old Flowery Gully School. Working models include an 1872 iron smelter and steam machinery.
At Sidmouth (just south of Beaconsfield), is Auld Kirk, a freestone church built in 1843. Also there, the cable-stayed Batman Bridge crosses the Tamar River, its 100m (300 ft.) tower making a great sight. Slightly north at Rowella is the Holm Oak Vineyard, open 10-5 daily.
The Dazzler Range extends to the west of Beaconsfield. This incorporates the Holwell Gorge State Reserve - a narrow gorge and fern glade. The 3½ walk passes three beautiful waterfalls.
Beaconsfield was originally known as Cabbage Tree Hill. There is no local accommodation.
Tour home | Intro. to Tasmania | Site map | Flora & fauna
North-west coast | North & north-east | East coast | Tasman Peninsula
Southern Tasmania | West coast | Central & midlands
FAQ page | Feedback | © Copyright Justin Ridge, 1995-2010