Tour of Tasmania: Beaconsfield
Text-only version
Regional cities/towns
Cataract Gorge

Beauty Point
Ben Lomond
Flinders Island
George Town
Tasmanian regions
Tasmanian flora & fauna
North-west coast
North and north-east
East coast
Tasman Peninsula
Southern Tasmania
West coast
Central and midlands
Site short-cuts
Introduction to Tasmania
Site map
About the Tour of Tasmania
Copyright and disclaimer
Provide feedback!
Tasmania FAQ
Tasmania Online
Search the Tour
Beaconsfield (pop ~1000) is an old gold mining town 40 minutes drive northwest of Launceston. Gold mining began in 1877, and reached its pinnacle when the Tasmanian Gold Mine, the largest in the state, operated in Beaconsfield from 1904. 26 tonnes of gold were mined, but that seam closed ten years later due to water seepage. Relics from the gold era, and ruins from the period, remain the major drawcards of Beaconsfield.

Most notable is the Grubb Shaft Museum complex. Open 10-4 daily, this has the mine ruins, rebuilt/restored buildings including a miner's cottage, and the Old Flowery Gully School. Working models include an 1872 iron smelter and steam machinery.

At Sidmouth (just south of Beaconsfield), is Auld Kirk, a freestone church built in 1843. Also there, the cable-stayed Batman Bridge crosses the Tamar River, its 100m (300 ft.) tower making a great sight. Slightly north at Rowella is the Holm Oak Vineyard, open 10-5 daily.

The Dazzler Range extends to the west of Beaconsfield. This incorporates the Holwell Gorge State Reserve - a narrow gorge and fern glade. The 3½ walk passes three beautiful waterfalls.

Beaconsfield was originally known as Cabbage Tree Hill. There is no local accommodation.

© 1995-2010